A journey to explore the holly temples of the region: St. Ignace of Loyola Basilica & Aranzazu Sanctuary
Basque Religious Architecture gems
Did you know the founder of the Jesuits was born in 1491, in a castle 30 mins away from San Sebastian? His name was St. Ignatius of Loyola and he became one of the most renowned historical Spanish persons.
Let me tell you the story of a t Dave, this guy from Chicago arrived to this tour having no idea about what he was going to find, he is an architect that studied during his childhood in a Jesuits school. His wife had organised everything.
Imagine his surprise when we brought him to Loyola and he saw the beautiful Basilica that had been built in 1738 around St. Ignatius'home. He was connecting a period of his life with this region.
Afterwards we went to a magical place, a sanctuary suspended on a narrow valley with big walls bellow it. Here the greatest Basque architects and artists from XX century joined their skills to create a master building: ARANZAZU.
It was after coming out from the church that Dave started to cry like a kid saying: "Oh my god, this is so beautiful".
Ready to experience it?
- After pick you up in San Sebastian or Bilbao we will drive 40 minutes to Loyola.
- There, we will visit the impressive baroque style Basilica (65metres high with a 20 metres diameter dome) and the tower-house (holly home) of the Loyola family where St. Ignatius was born and had his famous transformation from the militar life to becoming a "soldier of God".
- Afterwards we will drive for another 40 minutes to the Sanctuary of Aranzazu in the heart of Basque Country.
- To finish, on our way back, we will stop by the beautiful medieval town of Oñati where we'll have a look to its University opened in the XVI century.
- In Oñati, it will be the time to take some snack and share our thoughts and emotions before coming back to San Sebastian or Bilbao.
The itinerary can be adapted to traveller's interests: do no hesitate to contact me for a customized tour.
Meeting Point & Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Your Hotel
Duration: 8 hours
The tour could be customised according with your availability and suggestions.
Transport on a fully equipped air-conditioned van with capacity for 8 people.
*Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 EUR - Cash money required for the meal
- Guiding Services.
- Private Transportation.
- Admission Tickets.
- Personal Expenses.
- Foods and Drinks.
- Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).