Basque Cheese Tour
Enjoy making & savouring famous Basque "Idiazabal" cheese.
"Idiazabal" is an appellation that refers to the most famous Basque cheese and probably the tastiest. Here, I propose to visit a real Basque sheep farm and Idiazabal cheese dairy.
During the first part of the visit we'll have great fun, kids and adults will enjoy the most watching how "pintxo", the dog shepherd controls the flock and holding in their arms small sheep.
The second part will be even better because it is super interactive, we'll do a workshop where we'll be using the milk to create our own cheese and curd.
Afterwards, it'll come the tasting, we'll finally have the chance to see how Idiazabal tastes, and also to eat the delicious curds and fresh cheese that we made.
Myself I know Belda, the shepherd, from a long time ago, he is my age and also the stereotype of Basque countryside man, he studied to be shepherd at the professional school and he made his dream come true.
If you are looking for an authentic Basque gastronomical and cultural experience let's go together to meet Belda's farm
- From San Sebastian we will go by van to the farm. (20 minutes driving)
- We will visit the farm to understand how it works.
- We will see how "Pintxo", the wise shepherd dog, will performance with the flock. *
- After this we will go into the dairy to work for 30 minutes making our own cheese.
- The tasting will come at the end.
- Back to San Sebastian by car.
* Pintxo (the dog) will be able to show us his skills if the weather is acceptable.
Other options under request:
- the lunch (1st option: lamb meal at the farm / 2nd option: txuletón (T-bone steak) at the Cider House.
- 1, 2 or 3 hours guided walk on the mountains under request (extra price would be 35 €/hour).
Optional itinerary under request (Total 6 hours tour):
- Hike on Adarra hill to see a typical Basque mountain landscape where sheep graze in summers.
- Visit to the farm, workshop and tasting.
- Meal based of lamb. (minimum 4 people) or Meal in a typical Basque Cider House.
Meeting Point & Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Your Hotel
Duration: 3 hours
The tour could be customised according with your availability and suggestions.
This tour last 3 hours but it could be customised and extend it to 6 hours depending on your demand.
NOTE: kids until 14 years old just need to pay in cash at the Cheese factory 7 eur.
Transport on a fully equipped air-conditioned van with capacity for 8 people.
*Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 EUR - If you want to eat at the cheese factory (*) or at the typical basque restaurant the price would be 30€.
(*) A roasted lamb menu with wine or cider from the region is available at the cheese factory only week-ends.
- Guiding Services.
- Private Transportation.
- Admission Tickets
- Cheese making workshop and tasting
- Personal Expenses.
- Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).