The best of the Basque Coast: Gaztelugatxe
Be amazed by mystic old castles, charming fishermen towns and scenic roads
Have you heard about the beauty of Gaztelugatxe? If yes, then you already know that is 100% worth a visit either from San Sebastian, either from Bilbao.
Gaztelugatxe means Castle on the rock in Basque and this is exactly what it used to be. An old medieval castle used to avoid pirate and other enemies attacks, conquered and burned once by the famous pirate Francis Drake in the XVI century and turned into a beautiful hermitage afterwards.
Recently, in the 7th season of Game of Thrones we could see "Dragonstone" which was recorded here.
After visiting myself this marvellous place so many times a long the years, I never get tired since I always leave the place with renewed and positive energy. Nowadays, the military atmosphere that had the castle in the past is lost and instead, we find a place that evokes the spirituality and have the power to connect you with your soul.
Let's enjoy together of an unforgettable day and let me surprise you with Gaztelugatxe and many other wonders along the Basque coast.
- Picking up at your hotel in Bilbao or San Sebastian.
- First stop will be Gaztelugatxe (1h30 from San Sebastian or 45 min from Bilbao). The visit to the old castle must be done by walking. As the parking is on the top of a hill, we'd walk down first to climb afterwards the 241 mystic steps that separates the sea level from the old castle.
- Next, we will go for a "tapas" lunch in Mundaka's picturesque surfing town, where we would admire the magnificent views of Urdaibai estuary (UNESCO Biosphere Reserve)
- From here, on the way to San Sebastian we will stop in Gernika. Here, we will have a quick look to the first town in history that was bombed with civilians inside, at a market day in 1937 during the Spanish Civil war, a few German planes sent by Hitler dropped its bombs over Gernika killing more than 100 innocents.
- On the way to San Sebastian, there'll still be time for one more stop in the beautiful town of Zumaia, it would be time to relax while walking on the beach and admiring its amazing cliffs.
Meeting Point & Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Your Hotel
Duration: 8 hours
The tour could be customised according with your availability and suggestions.
Transport on a fully equipped air-conditioned van with capacity for 8 people.
*Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).
Estimated Local Cash Needed
15 EUR - Cash money required for the meal
- Guiding Services.
- Private Transportation.
- Personal Expenses.
- Foods and Drinks.
- Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).